Friday, October 8, 2010

From Bimbipap to Wok&Roll

I'm STILL ALIVE!!! From my last post on the best blog by an American living in Chuncheon, South Korea for 12.5 months while eating a steady diet of rice and tuna fish, one might think Kim-Jong Il and his army attacked the South and ended my ability to blog. My blogability. But Kim did not invade. I simply stopped blogging. All blogged out.
Reasons I stopped blogging? There are many.
1. I was involved in a heated blog war with a fellow "English" teacher (http://yorkshiretokorea.blogspot.com/2010/09/stealing-your-soul-everyday.html. Best blog by an Englishman living in Chuncheon, South Korea for 12 months while ruining innocent lives with Chinese rubbing alcohol)
Anyways, I choked. Couldn't keep up with the weekly blogs this maniac was putting out. He was constantly blogging. Blogs were going up even when he wasn't blogging. It was madness. For his last 2 months in Korea, he didn't speak to anyone. You had to read his blog and comment back and forth in order to have a conversation with him. More focused than Jordan in his prime. More focused than Eisenhower on the dime. More focused and ferocious than this little guy:
Well, I couldn't keep up with that manic pace. I was busy absorbing the culture. Drinking Soju in talking bars, eating triangle kimbaps, watching Iron Man 2 at the local theater.
2. I was also searching for jobs. Furiously searching for jobs. Presently, I think I belong to about 8 job websites. Hotjobs.com, CareerBuilder.com, GoogleJobs.com, JobbyJobJobs.com, JobHere!GetyourJobHere!.com...I was trying anything. Spitting resumes and cover letters out like Dylan be spittin' hot fire. I received a few responses from the hundreds of apps I sent out and almost had to do a Skype interview from my apartment in the Chunch'. For these interviews, I thought about putting a poster of the periodic table behind me, throwing on some reading glasses, smoking a pipe and looking up from a Dostoyevsky book when the call came in. Maybe answering in Korean. Unfortunately, none of these interviews came to fruition, but I have found a job since returning home. I will be working at a Public Relations agency in New York City starting next week. I have to wear a suit everyday. I may even have to comb my hair. My life is over.
3. Finally, laziness. A disease that affects us all at different points in our lives. Some of us can avoid the plague all together. Just look at Thomas Edison, a Korean middle-schooler or my mother. Some suffer with the sickness their entire lives like Artie Lang and Eeyore from Winnie the Pooh. I like to think of my laziness as a minor slip-up. A David Hasselhoff type slip-up. Only without the entire world watching:
I fell victim to laziness my last 3 months in Korea and am comfortable enough to admit it.

These are the reasons why I did not finish my blog in Korea, but I feel as though I have overcome them and hope to continue blogging from this point onward. That or end up like Hasselhoff vs. the cheeseburger.

No comments:

Post a Comment