Monday, October 12, 2009

Gangwon FC-Korean Futbol and ice skating



Went to a semi-pro soccer game in my town the other day. My city; Chuncheon (Gangwon FC), was playing against another city in Korea. Not sure of the name. I still cannot read Korean. But their colors were green and their fan section was amazingly jubilant. The only group I can compare it to would be the Sixth Man section at college basketball powerhouse: Fordham University. The faith and passion for their team was Jesuitic.

Gangwon FC turned out to be horrible. They lost 3-1. Their defense was non-existant and their strikers seemed to toe every ball that came their way. They needed some guidance. I think I noticed Coach Mick patrolling the sidelines. The other team also had two players from Central America who more or less took over the game.
I did get a hat though and finally have something to cover my poorly cut hair. Gangwon FC hat. Pretty nice. Green and white fitted. 15,000 won. Much better and more stylish than the 1988 New York Mets mesh hat I bought the first week I was here.

We all know that FC could probably defeat the Mets in baseball, but I have doubts over who would win in a soccer match. I think Gary Sheffield would be a tough guy to guard. Very dirty and probably very smelly. Probably spitting everywhere, too. He'd be kind of like that dinosaur who kills Wayne Knight (Newman) in Jurassic Park.
Santana could make a good goalie. He's very agile. Imagine his throws from the goal. Who would step in front of that? What if the Mets (as rumored) signed Milton Bradley and had a striking front line of Sheff, Bradley and maybe Ken Takahashi (to get some of that heated Asian rivalry into the situation). Intimidating. Fierce.












After the game, I went ice-skating. That's right. Ice-skating at an indoor rink down the street. I've never gone before, but after a couple beers at the game, felt it would be a great idea. So I went in with blue athletic shorts on and my new york botanical garden coat. First skate around, I fell flat on my back. A worker motioned for me to come over to him. He had me put on a bright yellow helmet.
So I returned to my free "skate" wearing bright blue athletic shorts, a green NYBG jacket and day-glow yellow helmet. Looked like a clown. I crept along the wall as groups of 6 year old boys and girls whizzed by me laughing. They weaved back and forth along the ice like seams on a baseball. I exited into the penalty box. Five minutes for humiliation.
By the end of the skate, I was actually doing a pretty good job. Very similar to roller-blading. When we left the rink, we took a cab back to our neighborhood feeling great. The day was over and we had done a lot. Went to chicken mania, ate some bbq food, had a couple more beers and headed to bed with a full stomach and happy outlook on life in Korea. Slept like King Tut (The Dead Version of course.)

No comments:

Post a Comment